Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Crafts Council Of India, Raintree etc

Now on the happier side. Or lets not label it “happy”. Let’s just call it “karma”. After a long time, I ventured out on my own today.
I took an auto rickshaw to Chitrakala Parishad where the Crafts Council Of India was holding an exhibition on textiles called “Vastrabharan”. Entrepreneurs, mostly women from different states of India displayed their weaves – sarees as well as fabrics. I must admit I was amazed – I must have away from the “weaves” scene for quite some time. A lot is happening. Young designers are implementing art inspirations on the sarees and the fabrics. They have “contemporarized” the age old saree. Innovation at play – blending of fabrics, new printing techniques, new color palette. Impressive!
I spoke to the convener – an elegant silver haired lady who willingly answered all my questions. The discussion soon went into the direction of the weaves of the North East. It seems lack of contemporary design sense and marketing talent, along with the steep pricing have stopped the same from becoming a viable business outside the North East. I couldn’t agree more. She asked me to be in touch with her and plan something.
Good – got a contact there.
Went to Raintree – the shopping extension of the Windsor Sheraton. Another good experience. There was an exhibition put up three lady entrepreneurs behind the cafe. Though they definitely came across as stay-at-home wives of rich and busy men who need some engagement, I must admit their assortment was more than just plain half-hearted time pass. I mean they have substance there. One of them sources eclectic jwellery; I really doubt her contribution to the business because all she does is “source” jwellery from abroad! C’mon!
The other two have implemented their creativity – one in diyas in mural, and the other in making tunics out of the left overs of her husband’s export business.
I ended up buying a few things for I needed a “conversation” with them. I’ve to do some serious follow-up and networking.
As anyone can make out, I’m tired and ready to hit the bed – but I’m trying hard to do this update. Many sad news around – a 26 year old journalist was shot dead last night when she was returning home from office. But now today – I will leave it to the cosmic force, I will do my karma – do my best, and then leave the rest to the one who knows it all, the force that rules the world. That’s what I can do best.

No comments: