Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Homework is needed everywhere - preparation for B-School or presidential election alike!

You must be watching this space Red River – and sometimes I update just for you.
But I’ve been feeling an increasing need to maintain a log of my life – of my activities, of my changing convictions, of my increasing hunger to know the people who rocked the world and changed the way the people think, of my pursuit to know the leaders better, of my attempts to explore the purpose of life. Who know why – may be in my own capacity, I want to leave behind my own legacy, my own tales. Even if I fail to impact the world, may be my grandchildren will benefit from my accounts and will fulfil my journey. May be I just don’t want to be left to chance, and fear my story of life being misinterpreted for the want of more information.
The hospitalization and the hiatus from office has given me a big opportunity to read without deadlines. And I’ve been reading a lot.
Most of all, I’ve been following one emerging young leader – Barack Obama. I’m not equipped to comment on who will make a better president for the United States – the Americans will decide that. But I’m surely inspired by the Barack Obama story. And hence I’m following him, speech by speech.
His speeches triggered my search for the other great speeches of the world – including “I’ve a dream” by Martin Luther King.
I’m not here for critical observation of their lives – I’m here to just observe the common underlying theme of most exemplary lives – they were definitely human beings of superior skills. They were not ordinary. Martin Luther achieved all the greatness of his life in just 39 years; Kennedy became president at 43; and now at 47, Obama transcended mental barriers and is the first African-American presidential candidate. I don’t know who deserves to win the election. But I surely know Obama has the special ability to inspire young people. He surely inspired me – raised by single mother, economic adversity and look where he managed to go – Columbia, Harvard. He surely must have had some grit to attend these schools. He must have had talent.
Connection of the Ivy Leagues (Yale, Harvard mostly) is evident everywhere – even Daughter of the East Ms Bhutto attended Harvard. Contributions of these schools to the world are undoubted. And that’s why I hope against hope.
While I was turning the pages of history from Regan to Kennedy, from Hillary to Benazir, from Martin Luther to Obama – one thing was very evident. Over achievers, some level of intelligence, independent opinion, discipline towards a goal, well read, well written, commitment to a cause and not complacence of a 9-5 job – all lessons that I should learn. Lessons that I should learn to discipline myself better to make more use of my life, my time, my skills. I’ve to make use of what I’ve – create value; do something. Not watch and let it be.

No comments: