Monday, August 04, 2008

A busy weekend, and a new home!

Yes, I've been to Mumbai for the weekend, extended weekend I should stay for the weekend began on a Thursday evening.

The news that I received on Thursday itself was not good. Mom called up to say one of sis's close friends high school passed away on a road accident. He was the pillion rider. Mom asked me not to mention this to sis over the phone, and talk about it when I get to Mumbai at night from Bangalore.Buki, that's what we called him. He was Vishal otherwise. Can't describe my feelings - felt awkward. I've decided to train my mind to think less and less, and concentrate on what we have. Funny how sis can say such matters of truth is simple things. She puts things simply - her strength. And I've to make a melodrama out of everything, using complex sentences with phrases and clauses. Its simplicity which offers life's wise lessons I guess.

Anyway, reached Mumbai at 11:15 PM in the night. Reached home ion Powai at around 12:30 AM. This was the last night in the house in Powai. The next day is when we shift to the new flat in Mulund behind Nirmal Lifestyle. That's the mission I'm here in Mumbai for.

The next morning was a lot of packing, unpacking, cleaning and expressing irritation, "Why do you shop so much? Why do you leave all these bottles unfinished and buy new ones?" Well 0 the truth is even I do so. But right now the subject is "sis" and not me, and she, not me, will be critiqued:)

Well, in transit from POwai to Mulund we lost the brand new Sony camera. One more reason for me to give her lectures on being "responsible". And those who know me never knew me as "responsible". But being in charge of the mission gave me rights to "lecture".

I called the packers & movers, and the guy had to say, "The camera accidentally slid out of my bag to his bag!!" Whoa!! I could never decode that mystery. But surprise of surprises, the guy did come to return the camera. Spirit of Mumbai? May be! He said the other guy flicked it, and that the guy in question was bashed up when the sin was discovered.Anyway - lesson learnt.

And then cleaning, cleaning and more cleaning. the previous tenants were a bunch of guys. And now guys don't know what is cleanliness and the needs of hygiene! So one can imagine the volume of work.

ANd then there was fixing, fixing and more fixing to be done. Carpenter, plumber, electrician - which other vocation did I leave out?

But the good news - the owner is an extremely sweet person. She ends every telephonic conversation with,"God bless you my dear. Take care". She sent us breakfast, lunch and dinner all the three days!

And she a Golden Retriever - MAX! And the bonus - the folks staying the in the flat across have 2 dogs - a cocker spaniel Jenny, who was an exact replica of our own Butterly and a Rottweiler named WIncy! What more can you ask for!

We called the land lady for tea on Sunday afternoon. The "head fake" here was to impress her. We were so sure of our good skills of doing up the place that we wanted to hear the compliments loud and clear. And she did throw the compliments loud and clear. Have to ask sis to send a few pics of her new place!

And yes, I forgot to mention the movie marathon. The fact that we were 3 mins walk away from PVR is the icing on the cake. Actually its PVR + Crossword + AT home + Shopper's Stop + W + all the good places to eat! So on Saturday evening it was Mummy. And then on Sunday - "Ugly aur pagli" and "Caramel". Back to back. One screen to the other.What an experience. Caramel was a beautiful experience. One of sis's colleague - a guy, also watched "Caramel" with us. Poor fellow - Caramel is so much a feminine movie, he must have been completely bored. But sis & I decided to ignore the fact, and sink in. It is indeed a beautiful movie.

And then on Monday morning - the first flight to Bangalore. Woke up at 3:30 AM to catch the flight. And then another day at work. God save all those who work in the outsourcing industry. We will soon forget to think!

And after all this, miss sis around. She is alone in her new flat for the first time. Big girl she is now. I know she will manage, and show me how to in a few days!

Read Kongki and her sis's blogs. The "sisterhood" that they share and expressed in one of their blogs triggered me to write this blog too. Even when I'm tired from the travel, and know that I should rather be solving that math problem from the Official Guide or write the bullets for my essay. But then....

"Its about where you want to go, where others have gone may not be where you want to go."

No comments: