Friday, August 29, 2008

My vision of a business organization in Assam, as told to Maa

Maa,

I've nurtured this vision of building a business in Assam that would be based on the "people, planet, profits" framework. My business vision will have the following impacts:

People : It will be a business model that will impact the people of Assam - create jobs, give them economic benefits, disposable incomes - while making use of the skills that they have, or have inherited from their forefathers. I want to build a business model based on preserving the art and culture, and identity of the people of Assam. Besides love of family, force of roots, of belonging to a culture, the identity of a community - always anchored me, and kept aligning me to the purpose of right use of my life and the skills I was blessed with. I would definitely want the rest of the children of Assam to also have that privilege - I want them to have a strong sense of self. My business model is to make high fashion, high style life style products out of designs originating in Assam, and the other hill states - from fabric to other hadicrafts. I'm dreaming big here. I'm dreaming of becoming an international brand. I will use all modern techniques of product assortment, replenishment systems, prediction models, inventory management, marketing strategies - to make this a successful venture. I will pick up all those skills - some of which I already have.

Planet : It will be a business model that will not disrupt the natural harmony of the planet - of the land of Assam. My organization will leverage the resources of Assam and will follow a method that will not deplete the natural resources, rather sustain it. Hence, I'm eliminating any flaw in the system that will lead to industrial waste and hence increased pollution, and hence imbalance of nature. One of the primary mission of the organization would be " ethical use of natural resource". I will grow trees to cultivate silk worms, and use renewable energy as much as I can. Our earth is in real danger - we often tend to ignore it thinking the problems will not hit during our lifetimes. We may be just lucky Maa, but our future generations - your grandchildren may not be. I want to leave behind a safer world for them for I want them to have a good life. And no region of the world will be a safer place -we will all be impaceted. So I better put some efforts in building an environmentally safe Assam.

Profits: I believe every business must make profits. For a business to be sustainable, it has to generate profits - it has to make enough money to pass on economic privileges to its employees, to its people.Besides, I also want to enjoy the fruits of hard work. I want to give a shape to the dreams of many like me - " If you have a vision, work hard for it - you get to do what you want in life". Hence I definitely want to have a revenue generating business model. As of now, I don't believe in non-profits. I want to make profits, so that these profits could be passed on the people who work hard to make these profits.

I also believe this industry will also give rise to increased profits in other related areas - tourism for instance. My organization will help build curiosity and interest in Assam and her people. People would like to see the land of origin of such unique design - for the same reasons people visit Rajasthan for. Like Bandhini is known all over, so would be Muga. I also plan to build museums which would tell the history of the land that I'm so proud of - but in a way and format that is attractive to the masses. Beauty charms all - and I will use the power of beauty of Assamese design to unify people and fortify my land, and my people.

Ofcourse I've to learn various things - strategy, finance, marketing, negotiation skills, network, blessing of some venture capitalists or angel investors - that's why I'm going to a business school.

Now, I need your help:

- What is the history of Assam's art and culture? What is the origin? What were some of the long lasting influencing and impacting factors? ( e.g Ahom rule, impacts of Sankardev's religious teaching on art & culture and design)
- Which are the most flourishing form of art & cultures? (e.g. muga, paat), Which vanished on the way? And why?
- Why these are primarily developed in pockets? e.g. Sualkuchi and not uniformly all across Assam?
- What are the factors of the success of these traditional businesses? What are the factors of failures?
- What is the cost price of muga, paat, endi?
- What is the usual mark-up price?
- How much of silk is produced?
- What is the demand?
- How much is exported now?
- How many well known retail outlets are there? I know Silkaloy is one of them
- How many individuals are doing good business? What typically are their annual revenue? Do they have consistent business?
- Do these retailers or individuals plan their business - predict how much they would sell, what should be the revenue 2/3/5 years down the line? Do they have a business plan, a methodical approach? Or do they just rely on instincts - without any data pattern?
- Anything else that you would tell me, I would listen:)

Lets see where do I go!

- Majoni

No comments: