Wednesday, November 05, 2008

My parents' dreams of me after Obama

I am still reeling in the news of Obama's success. In some ways, I consider this my personal victory. In some strange ways I could relate to Jesse Jackson's tears, and to the cries of victory in Times Square. Yes - one would argue what do I know of Jesse's struggle to claim affinity? Very right. Probably being born to parents who belong to post independence India, I've no clue. But I do identify the feeling, and in some watered down versions of it still face it everyday - if not directly, through the struggles and pain of the brothers and sisters of my community. We have such a long way to go, and yet we keep ourselves busy in wars of religion, caste, and our own narrow visions ramified in our own narrow worlds. We have such a long way to go - human life can be so much better.

And in the midst of all the excitement and emotional whirlwind, my parents say something...

My parents have not been as involved with the election campaign as I was. In general, for them the local Assamese daily carries all the news that they care about the world. The world outside that newspaper seems so distant for them, so far away, so un-real. I'm perhaps their only connection to the world. And I've been bugging them with so much talking about Obama that my poor parents were forced to educate themselves on the American election and specifically on Obama. Bless their good souls - how much they will do for me! And my sister - I converted each of them to my hopes, my dreams, my beliefs. Thank you - Ma, Deta, Moo and now, Rajib.

Anyway, without digressing - my dad calls me full of excitement in the morning. He was traveling to work from home - he works in another town in Assam, away from our home. He perhaps had the solitude to make this calls; he usually doesn't do this heart-to-heart talk with his daughter in the presence of Maa. " Majoni, you must be still busy reading about Obama, enjoying his victory".And then he prepares for the ultimate objective of the call, " He has proved if there is a hope, a dream and a belief, its possible. You just need to dream big and strong".I agree energetically as I have been long engaged in this mission of making them aware of what's possible in this progressive world. And then comes the thunder, "Majoni, you've to become our Obama. You must. The world needs, specially our corner of the world, needs such forces. You will be able to do it" And then as if I'm almost in between things, he goes ahead to predict road blocks," But our system is a problem. Honesty and sincerity are put to challenge in our system. You must have the grit. But I guess being from the old world, I can caution you of the probabilities." Just at that moment, the network got disconnected. Good it did. Thank you - Assam's winding roads through hills. I could not have taken more of it. There was too much going on in my head.

After a few minutes, almost like a plot of conspiracy unfolding, Maa calls." So how are you feeling?" In some ways, my parents treat Obama's win as my personal victory. I respond to that question with gibberish -so much to say, so many good thoughts in my mind. Then in her motherly censure, " How long will we keep admiring other countries, other leaders? When will your generation give us that hope? Rise up to the cause!" That's my mother. She doesn't waste two minutes to tell me that her moment of pride is in seeing me do something that will change the lives of the majority of the community for better, rather than seeing me live a comfortable life in a beautiful house. This has been her tone always. But it become stronger after she finished reading "Daughter of the East". Doing good to the masses is her religion. She follows it passionately.

Maa, Deta - you've expressed a strong dream to me today. The very fact that you believe in my ability is inspiration, responsibility enough. I don't know how to collect myself. But I will for sure. Thank you for the strength. My life means so much more than the frustration in office, frustration over the boss who limits me everywhere, frustration from the system - your words spoken today will me steer me through the journey and accompany me to the destination. The journey doesn't seem difficult any longer; the challenges on the way don't bother me for I can see the world beyond the mountains. Thank you again.

But to start the journey, I need to prepare. And the first step is to cleanse myself. I must teach myself to think about the good - the benefit of all, benefit of self too - all balanced, and symbiotic. Lift everyone else with me. But to be able to know of the possibilities, I must first lift myself - see the elevated plan.

Kopili, I hope you're reading my thoughts. That's our journey Kopili, to make the best of our life. To work hard. To have dreams. And to conquer the world - with goodness, with talent, with sensitivity towards one and all.

I feel so much better!

No comments: